Re: Humakti Honor

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:24:50 +0000

> Subject: Re: Re: Questions: Humakti Honor
>
> Ian Cooper wrote:
> > The only problem here with this part of the theory is that the
> > Humakti duel is often to 'first blood'. So the rules of the Humakti
> > Holmgang seem to imply that Humakti don't draw their blade only to
> > kill.

Benedict Adamson
> Agreed; I think I over stated my point. A Humakti in a fight,
> especially one without the framing of a formal Humakti duel, is, I
> think, much more likely to kill than an Orlanthi. What I meant was
> that there is less 'buffer' of non-fatal combat between no-fight and
> killing.

IMO the difference is that the Orlanthi will feel remorse, whereas the Humakti will regard the slaying as a duty done - even if only by accident - and that's it.

In my Holy Country game notes, there is Onslaught (I needed a culprit to slay a character's mentor), a foppish Esrolite Queen's champion (the character's ex-mentor), a professional duelist who challenged one of the last relatives of the last King of Heortland to "fair combat" when accepting meant to try and survive against a vastly superior opponent and failure to accept meant to abandon all honor, and various of MOB's lottery sword guys.

The fact that a Humakti is willing to kill isn't that frightening. The absence of a recognisable "breaking point" beyond which the offender has a mortal enemy neither. What scares me most about Humakti is their willingness to accept death in dealing it out. Current real world problems included. Fighting a Humakti can be similar to fighting an undead, a calculated disregard for the own life makes an enemy really dangerous.