Re: Tarnils

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:36:27 -0000

Morgan Conrad wrote:
> Sheesh, the whole Lightbringer's quest has fundamentally changed
from retrieving and atoning to Yelm to rescuing Ernalda! (this makes Orlanth a lot less heroically admirable BTW)

Careful. We could speculate that the LIFEbringers quest, to rescue Ernalda, later evolved into the LIGHTBringers quest to bring back Yelm and take responsibility for your actions. Haramst Barefoot, who was the first to undertake the quest may have been the first to put the LIFEbringers quest story together with other myths Heorltings were stumbling over in the 1st age to produce the new improved LIGHT Bringers quest. The LIFEBringers quest may well be a subset of the LIGHTBringers quest, lacking certain secrets/discoveries.

I don't know the specifics but I'm guessing that it has something to do with the LIFEBringers quest post-Ernalda's awakening/resurrection. Orlanth returns and throws a torch to Elmal, thus starting the dawn. Later Yelm/Sun associations from contact with the Dara Happans create the issue - Orlanth brings back the sun right, so if Yelm is the sun now we've me these DH guys, Orlanth must bring back Yelm. This leads us to the supposition - if Yelm is the Emperor who Orlanth killed, Orlanth must have brought Yelm back from the dead when he travelled to the Underworld to rescue Ernalda.

It could be that the Baths of Nelat are not part of the LIFEBringers quest.

Ian Cooper