Stories & Storytelling

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:50:58 -0700

Kevin Blackburn:

>If you've never experienced it, seek out a performance by a traditional
>storyteller (the tradition lives on, even in this age of TV) and see
>just how powerful a teller can be (for UK performances and clubs try
>http://www.sfs.org.uk - a site I run for the Society for Storytelling,
>there's some international links there as well).

Thanks for sharing this Kevin: I spent a happy hour or so on the site and following various links.

Stories (as opposed to mere plots) are somehow central to Glorantha, and I'm pleased that storytelling events have always been a part of Gloranthan conventions. I hope that when the next Gloranthacons rise anew to join Convulsions and Tentacles (hey folks, its time!) that the tradition continues. I don't know if there will be storytelling at C02, but I know there *will* be a poetry mead session, cause I'm the bunny. :)

I've experimented with having professional storytellers run workshops at roleplaying conventions (Brien Hungerford at Phenomenon) and though the numbers have been modest, feedback has always been very good.

Because in my Lagerwater campaign we did a lot of sitting round the lodge, we occassionally had players tell a myth during a game session. It worked well - no reading from books, but index card notes allowed.

>One ambition of mine is to tell the LBQ as a story in the real world to
>an audience, but I've never quite dared (I'm not that good a teller, for
>a start off).

Whoa, lets book a weekend! You might tell a more modest slice at a convention like Convulsions, or even harang the organisers into giving you a room for a few hours. I for one would happily cheer you on.

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Each of Ulster's heroes had his day , to take care of every man who came that way with poetry, and to fight any others.