Re: Stories & Storytelling

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:04:01 -0000

> Because in my Lagerwater campaign we did a lot of sitting round the
lodge, we occassionally had players tell a myth during a game session. It worked well - no reading from books, but index card notes allowed.

I recently ran a Canterbury Tales style journey with heroes and NPCs telling stories along the way. At first I tried reading aloud, but my performance skills were a bit lacking, and the players seemed to want to get on with doing actively rather than listening passively, so I switched to hand outs for the stories, which sutied everyone better. The players still told their own tales though, and hopefully they enjoyed the challenge - of course Bruce Ferrie is in our group and everyone here has seen some of his stories.

I wanted to convey two things. First I saw as an opportunity to present background that might be relevant to forthcoming episodes 'in game', and I wanted to emphasize the Heortlings as an oral, storytelling culture.

I need to work on presenting stories but its an idea I am keen to return to.

John's poetry info is certainly a help here.

Ian Cooper