Re: Re: Hiding Annilla in plain sight

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:33:26 +1300

At 04:23 26/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Peter writes:

> >For them to be in positions of religious power exposes them to the
> >gaze of the gods they supposedly represent and Krarsht has no known
> >background of magically masking her servant's allegiances.

>What is the God allowed/able to observe with this gaze? The
>Heortling books do seem to imply that the Gods can see into your
>thoughts.

They know when a worshipper has done a bad thing and make their displeasure known to his community.

>But Ralios is full of competing fun heresies, and since the Invisible
>God hasn't revealed many of them as frauds, why is he different?

The Invisible God operates by different rules than the theistic gods. The differences so far has not yet been described but a good answer might be: the Invisible God knows everything - getting an answer is the real problem.

As for the heresies, each of them know they are right. They just lack the truths that make the rightness of their way apparent to the others.

>When Arkat was in a cult, was he "really" in that cult, a true
>believer, convincing to himself and the God, or was he really
>thinking "I'll try this and if it fails I'll jump ship and become a
>Troll?" The former seems a bit of a stretch to me, the latter more
>realistic.

The former is the case.

>Divination is severely limited, right?

As per the limitations in Thunder Rebels p74 to p86.

>Where does Illumination fit in? Would an Illuminated Annillan
>or Cacodemon be revealed if he pretended to worship Orlanth?

If he pretended to worship Orlanth then he would be revealed for the people around him would know that he's just going through the motions. If he actually worshipped Orlanth then he would not be revealed.

--Peter Metcalfe