Re: IG and MGF

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:20:31 EST

Bryan Thexton:

<< I agree though that this makes it hard to start off heroic characters from western lands! Who wants to assign all the cool magic stuff to someone else?  One of the things that excited me when I first was introduce to RuneQuest was that *everyone* did magic. High skills that let you do dramatic things are great, but magic always adds that extra _wow_ factor. In RuneQuest non-apprentice users of sorcerous magic already had less scope for coolness (although they did have some fantastic spells, if they could ever cast them).  In HW they generally seem to have no personal magic at all. From a maximum game fun point of view, I have to admit playing in the west didn't appeal under RQ, and appeals even less under HW. >>

     I'm told that the rules on personal magic for the lowly inhabitants of sorcerous lands have been changed in 2nd edition HW, and (as far as I can gather) do address this specific problem.

Trotsky