Re: Re: IG (and MGF)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:04:59

Bryan Thexton:

> > All you've done so far is to show out that you don't think
> > Western farmers can be heroic. But knights or sorcerers
> > are "hard to start off"?

>My apologies, I made the obviously incorrect assumption that when
>playing in most of the west you'd be required to start as farmers and
>work your way up.

Only the Loskalmi require everybody to start off in the Farmer Caste (and that includes non-farming occupations such as merchant, artisan or squire) and work up. Most other Malkioni take the view that you start off in your father's caste (i.e. a son of a noble is a noble).

>However, even with your definition, I would tend to stand by what I
>said: given a choice between being able to mix magic with combat,
>social, and other skills freely, or having a fairly clean seperation
>of magic from most of the other parts of life, I find the the former
>to be more fun.

But you are confusing the normal social standards with what the heroes should (and can) be allowed to acheive. Most Malkioni live that way because it's a benefit of their society. But that doesn't mean that Malkioni heroes have to have a fairly clean seperation of magic from their life or have narrow specializations.

--Peter Metcalfe