Re: Followers. What have you got?

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 02:37:13 EST

Steve Royle:

> Do wargamers even play or more importantly run Hero Wars?

 I am a wargamer and I run HW, have done since I first got my hands on it. All my group bar one, and she's female, are wargamers. We have a very enjoyable storytelling, lots of mythic type stuff time. The idea that a wargamer cannot storytell is quite laughable Oliver, and if any of you guys forget how a wargamer can be a good storyteller, remember Roan-Ur at Convulsions acouple of years ago, he was a wargamer! :-) What you may not know is that most wargamers get in to wargaming because they have a love of history, and that is the greatest story ever told. So guys let's get rid of these wargamer misconceptions and embrace one another, as we are after all, just one big bunch of geeks :-) >>

Not that sort of 'wargamer'; from context he means it as 'the type of roleplayer who likes detailed combat systems and rules-based tactical choices in RPGs'. One assumes such players would not be keen on HW - and indeed, Greg has said that it certainly wasn't written with them in mind. This is from the traditional division of roleplaying styles as 'character actor/storyteller/wargamer/powergamer', and has little to do with what other hobbies one might have. The term is perhaps somewhat misleading, but its traditional so what can you do? ;-)

Trotsky