Re: seven mothers

From: metcalphnz <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:36:58 -0000

> The church of the seven mothers as operting in the
> Provinces: does this operate as a collective of priests?

It operates as a single cult. Each Temple is headed by a Priestess of the Full Moon with other priestly stations for the other mothers (Irrippi Ontor, Yanafal Tarnils etc). However some temples can quite easily have more than one priestess for a given station while other temples are reduced to having a mere initiate holding the position.

> Will there be a 7M temple
> as opposed a Deezola temple and a Teelo Norri temple?

Most temples are dedicated to the Seven Mothers as a whole. There are several temples dedicated to one of the Seven Mothers - a temple to Yanafal of the Seven Mothers exists in Alda Chur. The temple structure for that was having a priest of Yanafal of the Seven Mothers (as opposed to a Scimitar of Yanafal Tarnils) heading the temple with secondary acolytes heading the other cultic stations.

> Would the 7M actually commission new buildings, or are they more
> likely to occupy exising buildings on location?

They do build temples.

> Are there any
> architectural conventions or features associated with 7M temples,
> if any?

Think Greek.

> Would the 7M be likely found inside the fortress of an
> expeditionary force,

A fortress for an expeditionary force? If you are thinking of garrison forts, then yes Seven Mothers Temples can be found there. But since it is also a church for civilians, it can be found outside forts (cf Pavis).

> or are they more likely to occupy areas outside
> of direct Lunar military control, in order to show "neutrality".

Why would they show a face of neutrality towards the Empire?

> Does the 7M engage in the co-option of local spirits?

Insofar as the local spirits, godlings can be co-opted. The Lunars are doing this for Pavis.

> Would it
> find a local temple and "convert" it to the Lunar Way?

I'm not sure what you mean. Does it find a local temple and turn it into a temple to the Seven Mothers? No. Does it help the local temples reach an accomodation with the Empire? Yes.

> What is the relationship specifically between the 7M and the
> powerful military cults?

The Seven Mothers does not have any connection with powerful military cults. It is an autonomous church.

> What is the relationship between the 7M and the
> Imperial Moon?

It depends on what you mean by Imperial Moon. The Church of the Seven Mothers is also known as the Provincial Church. The Provincial Church is an institution of the Lunar Provinces (the Provincial Army is another) and is responsible to the Provincial Overseer who is responsible to the Emperor. As such, its congregation is made of Lunar Provincials. Heartland Lunars in the Provinces are not members of the Provincial Church. Provincials that have transferred to another lunar cult are not members of the Provincial Church.

> Could/would the Imperial Moon make use of members of
> the 7M as agents?

I don't see any reason why they can't. A seven mother worshipper can act for whomever he pleases. The only limitation is the nature of what he does and whether his or her superiors will approve or even know about.

A Seven Mothers acting on the direct orders of the Emperor is possible but implausible.

A Seven Mothers Priestess acting for the provincial Overseer to fink on the General Guide is plausible. He or she would catch holy hell if the General Guide found out.

--Peter Metcalfe