Re: on Darktongue

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 03:35:48 +0200 (EET)

> > > The elemental languages have not been "very difficult to learn".
>
> >No?
>
> Looking up the previous rules for learning such languages, I
> don't see anything that shows otherwise.

True, but then again every skill in those rules was as dificult as every other. Some just started from a slightly different default. The only exception being tradetalk, that is described as easy to learn (half time, I think)

It seems pretty obvious that the sacred (magical) languages aren't as easy to hack, than those that you use in everyday life.

> >How about comments like "...a language not made for human tongue"
>
> Since Darktongue is also a language not made for human tongue
> yet has not been known to be exceptionally difficult to learn,
> this proves nothing.

It usually seems to have been portrayed as something of a special case when a human is fluent in it.

No wonder. I bet it uses sonar clicks and infrasound growls.

<snip>
> > > Which simply says Stormspeech is not a language made for human
> > > tongue.
>
> >How easily do you think such languages are learned then.
>
> Well, if I were to want to learn Stormspeech, I would go to
> a Priest or God-talker. It's what they use to communicate
> with the Gods of the Storm Tribe. Broyan is unusual in
> that he uses Stormspeech for other purposes.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on the difficulty involved. Parhaps you are very gifted at learning foreign languages.

But I take it that your ansver to the original question would be, that the Uz speak darktongue, and that it's the exact same language that Dehori and suchlikes speak.

I'm finding that a bit difficult to believe myself at the moment.

        -Mikko, the Adept