Re: on Darktongue

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:21:47 +1300

At 03:35 21/01/02 +0200, you wrote:

> > Since Darktongue is also a language not made for human tongue
> > yet has not been known to be exceptionally difficult to learn,
> > this proves nothing.

>It usually seems to have been portrayed as something of a special case
>when a human is fluent in it.

I'm not aware of any such protrayal.

>No wonder. I bet it uses sonar clicks and infrasound growls.

What Darktongue uses is "hoots, whistles, clicks and shrieks", Uz Lore p6.

>But I take it that your ansver to the original question would be, that
>the Uz speak darktongue, and that it's the exact same language that
>Dehori and suchlikes speak.

I really don't know whether there's any difference or what difference there is. But in the context of Hero Wars, it doesn't matter. If you want to speak to a Dehori, use Darktongue. If you want to speak to Uz, use Darktongue. I don't see the need for skills for separate magical languages that are exceptionally difficult to learn, considering that Stormspeech/Stormtongue is nowhere listed as a skill despite its utility in talking to the Gods of the Storm Tribe.

--Peter Metcalfe