Re: Ooooh! Art; heroquests

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:09:15 -0000

Ah, good point, Quest Challenges did need a re-write.

> Many HQs are effectively solos and some seem to be done for hero
> advancement, not the community. I have often thought it might be
good
> to have '5-min' quests that can be run with one player, in a
> abstracted and short form so the other players do not get bored,
who
> is looking to gain a specific known ability. Charging a HP 'fee'
> would help to balance the 'simple heroquest' against an 'extended
> heroquest', where you might spend more HPs.

Yes, I have tried having the other players play the 'bit parts' in a HQ (a similar one to the skybull quest, actually, the player wanted a pegasus for her Vingan, so I used the Elmal myth to let her 'heal' the wings back on to Horse), but there are a number of other possible HQs where only one character benefits. Charging extra HP for an easier/shorter HQ does seem logical, but it's very much an artificial, game-mechanic solution.

We also completely ad-libbed a HQ for my Vingan to take a Dream- s tooth and a javelin that had drawn it's blood, and nip over to Gustbran's Forge to have him make a spear out of it. I think it took LESS than 5 mins...

Wulf