Re: Uz!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:20:54

Edward G McDonald

>I have a question regarding something I saw in it though. On the map
>showing where trolls are in Genertala it shows that there are about
>1,500,000 Uz in Koromandel (sp?)

Koromandol. After the place in Sri Lanka but Greg got it through Edward Lear.

>Are there really that many Uz there?

Who knows?

>If so, why and what do they do there?

They are there because they were expelled from Bliss in Ignorance by exiled Kralori Mandarins (who were expelled from Kralorela by the God Learners).

As for what they do there, the Courtship of the Yonghy-Bongy-Bo at http://world.std.com/~kcl/chickenstorieslear.html (there is a creature whose initials are Y.B.B. in that part of glorantha) starts of with:

::On the Coast of Coromandel
::Where the early pumpkins blow,

So we know the land is full of mysterious blowing pumpkins. Perhaps they are Hungry Jack's kin? Also note they are "early". Perhaps the middle and late pumpkins have different characteristics?

::Once, among the Bong-trees walking
::Where the early pumpkins blow,

As well as the pumkins, the land is full of Walking Bong-trees. I imagine they are triffids in disguise (although walking could refer to the Y.B.B. himself)

::There he heard a Lady talking,
::To some milk-white Hens of Dorking, -

Some vile creature?

::"I am tired of living singly, -
::On this coast so wild and shingly, -

The coastline is wild and shingled.

::"On this Coast of Coromandel,
::Shrimps and watercresses grow,
::Prawns are plentiful and cheap,"

So the local Uz eat (as well as pumpkins) shrimps, watercress and prawns.

::(Fish is plentiful and cheap);

The Uz also fish although they use darksense to penetrate the fog of Kahar's Sea.

Then there's a reference to the Sunset Isles of Boshen (Boshan is a Kralori province) where the turtles are (Sofali live near Boshan).

--Peter Metcalfe