Re: Re: Small Glorantha

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:55:43 +1300

At 11:19 25/01/02 +0000, you wrote:

> > I can't think of a single reason in which
> > heroes should whip out abacuses and contrast population
> > densities against some mysterious standard of which they
> > have no way of knowing.

>Foul! Extension to illogical extreme.

Reductio ad absurdum is a valid means of argumentation.

>The problem is much more acute from the GM's point of view;

I don't think so.

>if you're looking at the map and making
>decisions, you want them to be plausible so that they are memorable,
>intuitive, make sense.

That's true. But absolute population densities (or population densities compared to earth) are such dull, forgettable and uninspiring numbers that we can all ignore them. When I visited the Netherlands (which I previously knew to be one of the most densely populated areas on earth), I was surprised by the size of the empty green spaces between the cities. Since that time, I've always felt that such figures mislead far more than they supposedly reveal.

>I don't want to wrestle with the problem of
>how all these people feed themselves if I'm trying to write a plot;

Then don't. Absolute population densities are a good example of Too Much Information.

--Peter Metcalfe