Re: Re: Seven Mothers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:09:37 -0800

> > Currently there is plenty of evidence, from published sources, to
> > give all Sartarites plenty of reason to hate the Lunars and give them
> > a common reason to want them as far a way as possible. From
> > the published sources there is no evidence of the benefits that
> > Lunar civilisation may bring.

The 'evidence' cited has been written (largely, especially the most recent stuff) from the point of view of the Heortlings. We authors intentionally demonized the Lunars in Storm Tribe, Thunder Rebels and Barbarian Adventures. Later books will show how beneficial Lunar Civilization can be (at least for Heortlings who see the light and become Lunar Citizens...).

Cue a Heortling version of "What have the Romans ever done for us" from Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Of course, that isn't to say that there isn't a grain of truth in the "The Lunars are only here to exploit us" viewpoint - there are the Lunar equivalent of Carpetbaggers and there will always be greedy, arrogant, snotty conquerors who lord it over the "ignorant clod hoppers up in the hills".

Seen from the filter of the Orlanthi Heortlings, there is almost nothing that the Lunars do that is good. Seen from the Lunar perspective, the same holds true of the Heortlings. But seen from 'outside' the conflict, there are good and bad points on both sides. As a narrator, you are encouraged to play up the good of your hero's culture and the bad of the enemy culture. You are also encouraged to play "nothing is as it seems" scenarios, where the bold and honest Lunar hero saves the day for the Orlanthi (or vice versa).

Roderick