Small Gloranthans [was: Small Glorantha]

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:43:15 +0100

Peter :

> For most intents and purpose, the _apparent_ size (that
> which the hero experiences) of a region feels as large
> as whatever historical parallel you chose. The Lunar
> Empire feels large because it is portrayed as an empire
> that dominates the known world. Sartar feels the size
> of Scotland or Ireland regardless of its area. Troubling
> oneself with areas and population densities is IMO an
> arid approach that yields little joy.

Does it occur to anyone else that, while Gloranthan Miles & KMs (kilometers and key miles) seem to be equivalent to RW ones, that a Gloranthan foot, yard, lb. or kilo might be much shorter ?

ie, that Gloranthan humans might only come up to our thighs or so, if we were magically transported there, and .... hmmmm .... come to think of it, we * do * know that Gloranthan humans actually * have * shrinked since the Green Age. (!)

Of course! That not only explains the weird population densities and travel times published here and there, but also goes some way to explain some of the weirder Gloranthan physics, such as the common ability of Sartarites to "sunset leap" : not having so much mass as we do, Gloranthans can easily zoom about like little CGI spidermen !!

Julian Lord

PS Sorry about the aridity and joylessness BTW.