Re: Re: Spirit or Daimone?

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:11:27 -0600

bethexton gives some good suggestions about "spotting spirits and daimones," including:

>- In areas where you know a lot, you might be able to use another
>skill with a penalty, so if it is a question of whether it is a wind
>spirit or umbroli, mythology of Orlomanth should give you a good shot
>("It comes from the east in fire season, and the barley trembles
>before it. Orlomanth swore to keep his umbrolis from scaring the
>barley when it was almost ripe, after Minlinster showed him how to
>tame the blue giant. If it isn't an umbroli, it must be a spirit
>wind").

        I assume that "general clan knowledge," probably subsumed into the Know Local Area ability, includes some of this sort of information for especially familiar spirits and daimones. So clans that live near an Aldrayami wood might use their ability at full value to identify a spirit grove, at -3 to tell that "that strange feeling in the air" was some kind of woods spirit, and at -6 or more to know something specific. Similarly, clans by the Marsh probably have a lot of experience identifying ghosts and other nasty spirits. Naturally, cult abilities (especially Mythology) should give reasonably good information about cult daimones -- they are the god's servants (and possibly enemies) after all.

Peter Larsen