re: Myth is not truth

From: morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 04:16:45 -0000

Michael writes:

"Morgan obviously doesn't consider primary definitions as valid"

I looked at three different dictionaries (not the one you cited) and all were more explicit in the "not-provably-true" aspect of the definition. One used a phrase like ostensably factual, another used "without or with a determinable basis in fact".

In any case, even the definition you cite makes no claim of definite factuality, the very words "story" and "supernatural" tend to imply the opposite.

O.K., I'll accept that "myth" in Glorantha is used differently than in English. But since these events actually did happen, (right?) IMO it's a poor choice when "history" fits much better.

As for how this affects play in HW, if all the Orlanthi believe, and can visibly see via Quests, that these deeds of their Gods are factually true, why, why do they call them "myths"? Is there some doubt? Do Quests often reveal fake things?