Re: re: Myth is not truth

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:53:15 +0000

>As for how this affects play in HW, if all the Orlanthi believe, and
>can visibly see via Quests, that these deeds of their Gods are
>factually true, why, why do they call them "myths"? Is there some
>doubt? Do Quests often reveal fake things?

Do Quests reveal fake things? Yes and no.

If I HeroQuest, I see through the vision of HeroQuest. I look at the sun, I see Elmal. I look at the storm, I see Orlanth. I look at Kero Fin, I see the great mother. The earth beneath my feet is Ernalda. But only if that is my expectation.

Dara Happans performing the same movements will see otherwise - they quest, and see Yelm, the sun. (Or one of his stand-ins, depending on the period.)

So is one vision fake? If so which? Or are both true? The answer, of course, is yes. Elmal is the sun is my truth, Yelm is the sun is your truth. Both are provable, through the heroquest. The quest challenge allows us to prove which is more true - you bid your faith in Yelm against my faith in Elmal, and the winner is proved correct. If enough people take part, beliefs can be changed. This is part of the hero wars.

On the rather less interesting, or relevant, meaning of the word myth : Myths are, fundamentaly, wrong. They are imperfect tales that reflect transcendant events. Humans are not transcendant, and therefore cannot fully understand those events. Myths are the mask that allows us to partially understand those events, and make use of their powers. A similar idea applies to the term 'god'. The negative use of the word 'myth' to mean something that has no truth is a modern corruption, and its existence should have no place in Gloranthan discussions.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson