Re: Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Godlearner Book

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_sL5AKZN3ROuqjvmg8AwtDthcLApOYQUGL0AnkfxrcVV0zszMm2p2yCootieW-81igAI>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:32:23 +1200

Rick wrote:

>Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> > >This whole disscussion has become very ugly very quickly.

> > It became ugly when Greg made a boneheadly stupid decision

>While Greg should have communicated his intentions better,

The classical english understatement, right up there with the "He won't be getting up again" uttered after Thomas Beckett's skull had been cut open and his brains trampled into the cathedral floor.

>the conversation turned ugly when you assumed the worst >and started ranting about what you thought would happen.

It's pretty hard to read the following:

::it will never be reprinted. (Ten soft cover versions were also
::made, and those too will never be reprinted.

as a statement of intent that the work is not going to be made available as an unfinished work.

When there's confusion about what the intended fate of the information (this from the researcher):

:Who's to say it won't be? Or won't appear in a Mongoose 2nd age
:publication? Or maybe it will end up on the web site.

When another author offers this self-revealing gem about his general attitude to those less fortunate than himself (sociopathic doesn't begin to describe it):

:these conventions are IMO the heart and soul of Glorantha
:as a tribe, which I for one value much higher than Glorantha as a
:roleplaying game setting or as a source of geeky obsessive
:esoterica.

When Greg advises people:

:If it is REALLY so important that you have everything then
:I encourage you to join the ranks of true completists and eat beans
:and rice for the next six months to be able to afford these rare
:collector?s items.

And when an "light" (fingered?) editor makes transparently false statements about
why something can never again be published:

:Yes, its theoretically possible that it might have been published
as an

:unfinished work: that was one of the original options considered.
For a

:variety of practical reasons, it was not the way we went.

and rounds it off with a sermon which is notable for its tone of how the convention
organizers have died for our sins, cannot walk on water because of the wounds of crucifixion and thus need special sources of information that will not be made
available to the rest of us as compensation for their pains, it is pretty hard not
to assume the worst given that Greg has a demonstrated history of shafting people.

--Peter Metcalfe