Re: Terror in war

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_a4vyoSDaN4iOFk-1TpXLDi3eM9B7UY2e7K9zrqSlbSaJioZprFguCiX2osIs1>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:32:00 -0000

Jeff:
> "Right bastards" isn't how I would describe the Spartans.

David:
> Sure they were. Just ask a helot.

With all the guff about 300, I've wondered if I'd be interested in watching a somewhat broader and less glamourised depicition of the Spartans on film.

But then I think that anybody that looks forward to spending two hours watching a bunch of murderous, oppressive, bigoted, infanticidal pederasts probably needs to be on a database somewhere.

Like many, I was at a youngish age when I was seduced by all that faux-noble military claptrap that tends to dominate popular representations of the Spartan mirage. As time passed, I discovered that I really didn't like them at all.

And then they became *really* interesting.

Stew.