Space is the place....

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_wYvXsDu4dY8nY-TTgI2-nPyGL_pacL_v7IASO78TWZ2-DH6cYV9JFOzgTNiVI07>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:27:59 +1100

I said I didn't think it would be a good idea for people to send in lists of Youtube lists that they thought Gloranthans might enjoy. However, I can afford to be a bastard hypocrite on this list, so here are some. Stu covered a lot of great monster material on WoW.

Here are a few clips from things that you may or may not have seen that have some sort of Gloranthan element in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBKQNVj5Cc

The images from the Sun Ra clip could be Belintar on some sort of heroquest. It just seems other worldly, perhaps at the ending of the green age or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBKQNVj5Cc

The whole story from the water margin has a Sartarite rebel vibe, but also, visually could be exiled heroes from Shang Hsa's Kralorelan empire in the 2nd Age. The Ignorant Margins? Anyway, the theme tune is just fabulous.

Next up, what I consider a more 'realistic' version of a Wind Child than from Flash Gordon, albeit one who goes for a bit of Jane Fonda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-E3xuQtqI

This next clip is marred by fuck-awful music and has some good bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNkc0qDlY1Y

The story of Shaka Zulu is awesome to begin with. This version of the making of the spear is nice, and there are some neat battle scene on Youtube too. The Zulus, with their cattle economy and raiding etc are a good model for Sartarite, IMO. Shaka Argrath making a great leader with new methods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84iqdBXZnA

Next up, the Red Emperor showing off in and above Glamour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvFYcV84xv4

Some epic battle scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLYO5KA3DQ

could be in the west, or Peloria, perhaps Carmania, with magicians in the tent doing some spooky sorcery.

13th Warrior, for me, is the most Runequest 2 Gloranthaesque film there is. The bad gys must be a Thanatari cult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XRIzzF-VIM

Khan Aspara - another contendor for my image of Prince Argrath - partly based on the image on the Dragon Pass counter with the 70's style mostache. Thanks youtube, I'd have never seen thsi otherwise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXRiVNqlAk

Fall of the Roman Empire, OK so everyone's seen this classic - clearly, in my view, this is the Lunar Empire with a load of Satraps on parade. I wonder if the dialogue could be overdubbed with " Garterius, High Priest of Yuthuppa.. Shine on Garterius...." etc. It be Khordavu, near the end of the March of Ten Princes epic, I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-pXYCV8xkc

OK, another one everyones seen, but I cant' miss out a Baboon. I have managed to avoid Howard the Duck. Anywayu, its got Jane Seymour in as well, who is almost as good as Caroline Munro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-zaykxM1E

An awesome roman film I'd not seen before, there are several excellent clips, although this has the best underpants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNYVJivcgE&feature=PlayList&p=87C614724EDE457E&index=2