Re: Re: I have decided to resign dramatically and publically

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_2-Z45uWA6le7UfEJWeV7iXADIc94-xziecJrNERElBrTa2-p5_hN2y0cbHorhHt6Ey28>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:11:20 -0500

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_L4w4QGD5bCMRZyw4AJxi99Q4rFksYK0lXqTTxaSVeXfME0KWMzPbN-TJvevqcCPpp_6N4vHpORc5n3c.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> You mean like at Continuum? ... Continuum has a big Glorantha/Heroquest presence, as does Tentacles. Heck, according to Darran Sims and Newt Newport there are plenty of UK cons with a Glorantha/Heroquest presence.

Boaty-baiting aside: And that helps those of us in the US who don't feel like shelling out hundreds of dollars (airfare, lodging, etc.) to actually see even a draft of new Glorantha material how? Of course, this is cheaper than losing thousands of dollars trying to run a Glorantha-themed con in the North America, so we've got that going for us. I can only speak for the US situation; I don't know if Australia (for example) has it better or worse - at least Australia seems to have cons that aren't completely dominated by D&D (or perhaps the grass just seems greener there).

No matter how many people I introduce to Glorantha, it is perceived (quite reasonably) as a cliquey, European thing once these new players decide to investigate further - at every collection of gamers I've interacted with east of the Rockies in the US. Maybe California is a land of Gloranthan milk and honey, but that's almost as expensive to get to as Europe.

In addition to the lack of games using MRQ here in the US, MRQ doesn't count for me, no matter how many times I am told to "go play Runequest in the corner with the other special needs children if you don't appreciate the glory of the (non-existent for practical purposes) HQ2." I like what I've seen of HQ2, but I really hate the condescension.