Re: Re: Exploring Everything

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

In similar 'maintenance mode' I'd often send out one 'real' exploration party (clean up the white nibbles around the edge of the map), and one treasure hunting exploration party (heroic fighters with heavy guards to snake pipe hollow or stinking woods, heroic bargaining to Tarsh....I forget if there were other semi-reliable farming places.)

One trick I'd use occasionally was to have such a heroic leader _not_ on the ring, and send them off exploring slowly at the end of each Storm Season.  They wouldn't be at home in Sacred Time, and so wouldn't die.  Had one former war leader raiding Snake Pipe Hollow into his 80s :-)  (then had a really busy fall where I couldn't afford the turn to send him off, and he passed on).  The reason I bring it up is that you could use the same idea to try and fill up the map, using a leader who is apt to survive the most dangerous areas but who would otherwise be likely to die, you could take your time trying to fill everything in.

Subject: Re: Exploring Everything

      It's been a while, and I really long for the iOS version so I can play again...

If I recall correctly, I pretty much always explored everything. Not every single half-hex, but all hexes on the map. And I don't recall it being very hard. I usually play easy, because I like to win, which could be why.

But also, at the beginning if the game there are advantages to be gained by exploring (dragon statue, dragon gaming winnings, own tula trade goods). At the end of the game I sort of go into "maintenance mode" ie. one heroquest per year, one explore per year, one raid per year, one trade/gift mission per year. I send out a good explorer, usually exploring slowly.