RE: Re: PEOPLE: Broyan and the Larnsti

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:47:57 +1300

At 03:17 PM 3/11/04 -0800, you wrote:

> > Nevetheless for very conservative enemies, there are some things
> > that are not countenanced. The Pure Horse Tribe got its butt
> > kicked because it refused to arm women (KoS p193). Having been
> > part of a kingdom that fought against the pharaoh for so long,
> > it seems very odd for an described ultratraditionalist to have
> > compromised his principles in such a way.

>Broyan is a traditionalist Orlanthi - a very different thing from being
>a Pure Horse Person.

He is however described as ultratraditionalist (Thunder Rebels p6).

> As far as I see it, you can be ultratraditionalist
>by simply thinking that the Malkioni sheriffs are soulless meldek and
>the Lunars are the Second Coming of the Gbaji Empire.

That's a traditionalist point of view.

> > I am bemused by the attempts to objectively portray the Pharaoh as a
> > bad god who has only his interests at heart. The kings of Sartar
> > profited magically from the cult of Sartar but we never hear similar
> > analysis about how they weakened the tribes of Sartar by their acts.

>I don't think that the Pharaoh is a bad god. He just doesn't fit the
>mythic background of Kethaela (unless he is sort of an OOO substitute)
>and he isn't Orlanthi.

Rather a parochial view. Arkat doesn't fit the mythic background of Ralios nor Pavis the mythic background of Prax yet they are both firmly embedded there nevertheless.

> > Yes, the Pharaoh does receive magic from Heortland. There's nothing
> > intrinsically wrong in that nor does it weaken Heortland as a whole.

>No there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but it isn't Orlanth's
>way and it isn't Hendreik's way.

Given that the house of Sartar ruled using a similar method, I find the statement that it's not Orlanth's way to be odd. As for Hendreik, where is the evidence of his views?

>It isn't surprising that Orlanth and
>Hendreik have been weakened in Heortland since the coming of the
>Pharaoh.

Except that they haven't.

> > So Broyan converts the elective title of Volsaxar kingship into
> > a hereditary one and nobody complains? Even in Tarsh, that
> > change provoked a major rebellion.

>My idea is that this happens at Whitewall. I think that at the start of
>1619, Broyan worship Dar and Orlanth Thunderous (Vingkot subcult). By
>the end of 1621, Broyan worships Vingkot directly as a god. This is a
>big change but it happens during the crucible of Whitewall. And it is a
>key part of Broyan's WW story.

I'm not sure why he's worshipping Vingkot the Victorious then as that teaches only how to fight Dara Happans, who haven't been significant enemies of Broyan until the siege begins. Vingkot the Champion with more versatile darkness fighting powers might be a better choice.

--Peter Metcalfe