Re: The Arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:51:41 +0000 (GMT)

> On the question of what's to the south, the Gods's world met the other worlds at the spike.
> The gods were notionally to the north, the sorcerers to the west, and the spirits to the south.

In this case Chaos was attacking from the north.

> So, maybe saying the "southern gate" means going into some strange foreign land.
Could well be. Or some Spirit link? Kolat?

> I'm thinking that short world Jane mentions coukd be such a strange foreign land. I wish I could remember it properly, or find the reference, because I'm pretty sure it was a specific king's hall from Orlanthi mythology.

> I think we've beaten to death what a generic lunar looks like.
Yes - sorted.

> I still think the hoplites have a gladius hung on the right,
> because it's impossible to use a scimitar in their close combat.

I know this is generally accepted theory, but I suspect that while a gladius would be more efficient, a scimitar could be used, if the religious imperative gave a reason to try. I'll do some thinking, reading, and possibly experimenting. (But I failed to purchase a scimitar at the reenactment market last weekend).

> I agree that they also carry a cudgel on garrison duty.
Yes. A look at (British, at least) anti-riot police is quite informative. The phrase "shield-wall" definitely comes to mind.