'Riders of the Purple Sage'

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_ZPwYUB120DAEb9sclKrl6n_HDzeQljNlWkcuYFgSp379JAlRXCqTAg9l4N6xk>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:29:55 +0100 (BST)

> > He signs himself as 'Minaryth Purple, Sage'.
> >
> > I've always assumed that the out-of-game reason
> for the name was a
> > reference to 'Riders of the Purple Sage'.

> Hmmm - never heard of them before I looked them up
> on the web just now.
> Learn something new every day.....

I knew the phrase, knew there was a novel of that name, but no more. I have now Googled and Wikipediaed, know a little more, and promptly discard the novel as lacking in inspiration for the way my imagination works. But there's also a band (or four)....

It seems obvious to me that there is a hero-band called the 'Riders of the Purple Sage', and that it works for Minaryth. Basically, they're couriers. Minaryth deals in information, and information is only any use if it can get to the person who needs it, fast. To keep up the "cowboy" connection, I suspect they're mainly PolJoni. Now, I don't know a lot about the PolJoni, and don't want to trample over the ideas of those who know more, but it seems obvious to me that the Riders of the Purple Sage have somehow got hold of a Feat that gives the impression of "ghost riders in the sky". (Again, I'm grabbing the title and completely ignoring the words). Unlike the Grazers similar feat, the Riders can't use this for attack, as they're effectively immaterial while they're flying, but it also means it's very hard to intercept them. Yipee-yi-ya, yippee-yi-yo....

anyone "know" any more about these guys?