Re: Outlawry

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_Z1wFm8GPni8llEQH3KVpjBn6QgpBbeqlOqZaygAPkV1YLJUEcWGS_BHfP>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:15:12 -0000

> can no longer relate to his god because he got caught up in a raid
>and wound up on the wrong side of a juror.

I'm pretty sure that this is lesser outlawry or banishment(p.44 TR). The analogy here is the Icelandic practice of outlawing you for manslaughter (I'm distinguishing from murder here deliberately) for a 'cooling off' period in an attempt to break the feud cycle. The important thing to recognize here is that the crime can be compensated. 'Outlawry by a tribe is a political act. The offender's clan often resists it, and it does not carry the automatic loss of Orlanth's support that comes when a clan outlaws one of its members.' (I also think that this respresents complete defeat of some sort for the player).

Full outlawry is for crimes that are 'bootless' i.e. without compensation. These are things so heinous that you are cast from society. 'Outlaws are outside Heortling society and the law. They may be killed with no wergild , and may not even call upon Orlanth.' (again p.44 TR)