Re: Three-world model

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_7mmiXZnJ4iyqVajX385qNXu9mNNfGbHwWErqr4qkrRew8f_9jG2vjysshKh0tuACPO>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:12:57 -0000

I think that all depends on genre and setting. A campaign set in a monastary could have the delicate balancing of mundane and mystic aims as one of its themes.

I can see why its not as important to get into the rulebooks as the Gloranthan magic systems but I don't agree that it could never be fun. I don't even think its game mechanically that hard to come up with rules that cover most of the MGF bases, just that mysticism is unlikely to compete with more direct approaches to power in the butt-kicking stakes.

> In that light, a mystic is better encountered as an NPC that illustrates
> important facets about the world, rather than trying to play one as a
> character.

At the level of "so powerful they are retired from the game" level I would agree but not at the lower levels of power where many games reside.

Nic