Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Pxs86PWBm2FPRXmKIfI_hGHf_gOsLNkpvZp2LZFfkL3x5sYY-QU4SihxL0upFYhFFtx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:03:14 +1300

Jerome Blondel wrote:
> Peter Metcalfe

>> But to add to my current views, the closest example to a mystic in
>> Sartar are the retired priests of Yelmalio cooped up in the towers.
>> There's an example of a mystical austerity in practice but damned few
>> retirees actually go out and adventure.

> Isn't there a confusion between the method (ascetism or heremetism mixed > with contemplation) and the worldview?

IMO no. The mystical worldview is supposedly dominant in Vithela but there they worship deities like the rest of glorantha. If I stipulate that the Vithelan religion is better suited to mystical awareness than other religions then I can have playable sages as well as avoid having to pretend the ascetics in other parts of glorantha are not actually practicing mysticism.

--Peter Metcalfe