Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_cI_KU6Mmd2qC6spoezxOitsY3kAeripZAvDqD911l7HDAkal4EteVcYYUtIlCatGkPq>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:01:33 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ttjnE-ihfkPqwz5qzVAawY29bAVz-IZY1nLhTI_6wIEkN0lZQ2G52_Ekz7vOhQjiXEHmDgH33hHd-wj9ka-9UzE8ul8.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> I really
> don't want to get bogged down discussing the merits of subsequent
> buddhist philosophies and so have to bow out of this particular topic.
>
> I agree that further discussion is unlikely to be productive.

However, I still disagree that all mysticism will be (or even seem like) asceticism.

> > The closest we get is
> > something like the powers exibilted by Illuminates, who are, at best,
> badly
> > flawed mystics whose powers should be as dangerous to them as to the
> people
> > and society around them.
>
> Thinking further on this, I would treat Illumination (Classical) as
> being a Truth based (or should it be Illusion?) Talent and allow the
> illuminate to augment his magic with it - the result being that it
> becomes invisible to the gods and other sundry benefits.

Hmmm. So Illumination, as a failed mystic path, becomes a fairly standard magical ability (weird, yes, but easily modeled in the existing frame)? I kind of like that reasoning.

Peter Larsen