Re: Three-world model

From: L C <lightcastle_at_4fIK_YB81tcT3FmjnTsJBfT6_pmMWIxox6nFAUsTizLIm5MciDZ1lA1mLmiS6lV3>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:41:21 -0500

Been away and wonder if the elaborate Mysticism thread may have addressed some of my questions. Still, I'm always happy to show my ignorance.

  Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> The lower spirits and gods _are_ mentioned in the sources, namely Vith
> explicitly defeating the three errors of Animism, Theism and Sorcery
> (Revealed Mythologies p57-58) or Ombardaru (for example) being described
> as:

Cool. Good to know. I don't have any of these things.

> If the Vithelan mythology didn't have these
> three-world details then I wouldn't have bothered mentioning them.

Cool.

> > But this discussion makes me wonder again - what defines the three
> > worlds? Is it how your magic manifests? (Feats/Spirits/Spells)
>
> Look and feel works fine for me.

So you are of the "Theist magic looks different from Spirit" in how it looks and feels? (This in addition to it being something fundamentally different in type.)
So Theism can't be confused with animism or with Wizardry and so the idea that they each have their own rules system is a good way to represent that in a game?

> Without knowing who was doing the saying, it's difficult for me to
> comment on who was right and who was wrong.

Oh, hells if I know.

> I should point out that in
> Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes p185, there is an in-voice discussion of how
> the three worlds appear to the Orlanthi.

Oh. Good. That's something I'd like.

> > From an HQ2 rules view (which probably needs to be on the HQ2 list) it
> > gets back down to this idea of does "Theism" have a rule set which
> > applies to all Theism, or is Theism about a relationship to the gods
> and
> > how this manifests in magic is more variable.
>
> One can run a HeroQuest magical campaign without resort to the Three
> Worlds and Mark Galeotti's Russian Campaign does this.

Well, yes. That's trivial. HQ2 is a generic system and HQ1 was easily turned into one.

> But in
> Glorantha, the three worlds have been integral ever since Cults of
> Terror (published way back in 1981). If you think you can play
> glorantha without the three worlds that's fine by me but constructive
> examples of how to do so would be preferable.

Wait. I'm not sure what you're asking here. Play Glorantha without any in-game reference to the three worlds? That seems like a silly idea, although what I remember reading of Mongoose's books written from the point of view of the GodLearners they seemed to not have the three worlds set up exactly the same way it is described elsewhere. (I might be misremembering, the books are all in Boston, still.)

But making the game play with only one magic mechanic and all the "three worlds" aspects indistinguishable mechanically? In HQ2 that's trivial.

LC