Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_a3zYR2B-gOYtymTQif5Red6vUD5ecZfc6YxlxjeXItL153l9JoWDt6unqExE5X7vxai>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:48:29 +1300

John Machin wrote:

> I was wondering if a Wizard who methodically studied the texts of his school
> in a monastic or hermetic seculsion would be considered a mystic?

No.

> Kabbalistic practices that involve study of texts are sometimes considered
> mystical practices in our world;

And here the blurring of definitions comes into place. I've been using mysticism to refer to only one thing - closer contact with the ineffable. That RW sources describe exotic (but non-mystical) religious practices as mystical indicates they are using a different definition (or being sloppy with their definitions).

For the specific example of Kabbala, only study of the topmost teir (ein sof) would be considered mysticism. For all other sephirot, I consider them to be runes to be studied with grimoires.

--Peter Metcalfe