Re: Three World Model

From: L C <lightcastle_at_RFvMSdgZvG0N6z5Uk30M2lHAIfk_Kef22F259gYejNcX7fLIB7sGlBg1YR6rjXMD>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:00:26 -0500

In the Mystics thread, Todd helps me out,.

Todd Gardiner wrote:

> What is missing are not rules for being a mystic in a mechanical
> sense, but
> the structure around the concept that allows players and GMs to agree on
> the plausibility of actions that are used in the game.

Yes. Wholeheartedly agree.

> In Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, the Sartarite structure of layman, initiate,
> devotee is laid out. It is explained in a societal sense (laymen have been
> initiated into the overall religion, devotees cannot support themselves so
> the clan must pay for their upkeep), but it has also been given a rough
> numerical outline (any, 1W, 10W). The role of priests and god-talkers is
> defined, and the expectation on how you run a character with Rune
> Affinities
> is explained (Air rune = passionate, etc). Progression is touched on,
> with a
> few notes on how to run that in a campaign.

Wonderful and almost makes me want to buy a copy despite having no money. The question I am asking is whether that is the "Sartarite structure" or the "Theist structure".

> For there to be agreement at the table, the rest of the Three Worlds will
> eventually need this treatment (although it is possible to "interpolate"
> from HQ1 materials).

Well, they exist in the appendix to some degree. And again is it needed by world or by culture?

> But to run a Mystic character, there hasn't really be
> an example of a cultural framework for how this is done in Glorantha.
> These
> aren't rules, per se, but the framework that allows plausibility tests to
> work.

Especially since this is supposedly a system-agnostic list. Cultural framework will help with MRQ rules as well, even if it is less flexible than HQ2.

> That said, there is always reluctance to strike out into completely
> unexplored territory. What if someone publishes a map to this region that
> conflicts with yours? Better to wait at home until someone else publishes
> the map; in fact, make frequent requests of the community until someone
> does
>
> _._,_.___

I think this is particularly problematic in Glorantha, where there is often a sense (not necessarily true) of previous knowledge from the 30 years of the game that may or may not apply or exists in some rare treatise or book or seems like it might be available if you just ask the right person.

LC