Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_Rc9YhgS7Wj3dhxxjGmnIOwfYtm2CUvE6DxEkpduq1wd-utT3lFNjDRC-zllc6eNYQl9>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:52:22 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM, julianlord <julian.lord_at_Zv5Z9RbgdsYt4pBbpO0NjStLUtvULOLgxZQWqK0c7Oy7qtjVBMdAw4F-4irmGSVvcTp6WMcjlECZflVjA5z5.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I've had it from a few informed sources including Greg that this is either
> an oversimplified view of mysticism or descriptive of only *some* but not
> *all* mysticism. Greg has pointed out that the oriental word usually
> translated as "illusion" here could in many cases be translated as
> "reality".

It is worth noting that Buddhism (at least the version I have studied) teaches that the world exists *like* a dream - not that it actually *is* a dream. Just because something doesn't exist inherently/absolutely/independently doesn't mean that it doesn't exist at all.

There are many schools of thought regarding what that ultimately implies, though. I agree with Greg et al (if I understand their position correctly) that any statement about what mysticism is should be taken as a particular in game world believe and not an Ultimate Truth. ("If you meet the Buddha, kill him.") Pretty much anything you can think of is probably taught by some tradition somewhere - both in Glorantha and the real world.

-Kevin McD