Scanner Expert needed - Pavis & Big Rubble

From: Rick <rmeints_at_F7Nvg_f31tCmZJcuT69BwYDHERFOcE1F0ylUYLo_K8DsXxQ9ATSuLO-q1_jZld2rPIrl>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:22:44 -0000

Hello all,

I am trying to get Gloranthan Classics - Volume I: Pavis & Big Rubble back into at least limited print. I have one problem standing in my way. When I did the original print run I had trouble scanning in a lot of the art from the original books. The printer was nice enough (at no cost) to use their very high end drum scanner to scan in the pics. Unfortunately, I never got the electronic copies of those scans, and the files are long gone (1999 is ancient in file retention terms for printers) I have tried scanning them in again with my new scanner, but with no luck. The pics look grainy, and the grey backgrounds come out all "checker-board dotted".

Thus, I am looking for some high-powered and experienced assistance with solving this scanner problem. I'd prefer to have people email me with any and all offers of assistance or advice. rmeints-at-gmail.com

I have tried different DPI settings (100, 150, 200, 300 and 600 dpi), and adjusted brightness and contrast. I've used black stock behind the page so things don't bleed though from the other side. I can't really afford to have professionals use a high-end scanner because even if they only charge $20 a scan (not uncommon) there are too many pics I need done.

Ideally, a volunteer who has the two original boxed sets that can help scan in the pics would be ideal as well. I would be very happy to reward them with a hardcover Pavis & Big Rubble book from my super limited stash of the first reprint run...