Re: Monasticism and Mysticism.

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_9T3_qDuj18Er1i5mmk4vgn3eR_m3CHbgJuWfC4KLiJNQIqdg8DYijlKelaCAtPXqoZs>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:25:33 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_09iU6c8BVHDwv9fIt1W38wGogN6pD443hoP0PwuLBJX629aq7g3SKczhlce10Xo28Qh4kNN-mdU2MA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Well, yes, but there are ven more mystic practices (as I see it) that just
> have people go about their daily lives. For example, my example of a
> carpenter whose mystic practice concentrates on "being in this place, at
> this time."<snip>

There are certainly examples in real world myth/legend where "householders" - non-monastics - achieve great mystical insights in ways similar to what you describe. This is generally considered to be difficult, though. People become monastics because it is simply easier to make progress if you are a monk or nun. Monastics have fewer distractions and are supported by others on the same path, have access to teachings, etc.

Typically, people from cultures with strong mystical traditions (like Buddhism) try to follow the teachings as best they can, donate to the monasteries to gain positive karma, and hope to have a more practice-friendly rebirth in a future life. They also frequently supplement their mystical tradition with other more practical local religious traditions, like animism.

In Gloranthan terms an average Joe in a society that values mysticism might have a non-magical keyword for the mystical tradition and some kind of common magic keyword for day to day use.

If you have a culture that uses an analog to karma then you might invent an ability that can be used as an augment in contests where winning would benefit the character. Note that the Narrator would be within her rights to decide that loosing a particular contest would ultimately be more beneficial to the character in the long run, in which case your karma keyword could be used as a penalty. In fact, I have heard some teachers say that if you are making good progress in your spiritual practice then you can expect lots of *bad* things to happen to you as your negative karma gets cleared out. "Learn to love problems like ice cream" it has been said. :)

YGWV -Kevin McD