Re: Three Runes

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_KgbR-18IUjrmsF6bFddgs6U4YolXa4GxEpjZjiFgjN9W0dPeXF91AOcfLYPVlXRbxot>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:37:24 +0000

L C wrote:

> *nod*
>
> If it does go "everyone has runes of some kind" this is certainly how I
> would see it. The theist cultures mentioned in what I have all are
> linked to an elemental rune almost by necessity. (Air/Earth by gender in
> Sartar, Fire/Earth by class is mentioned as Dara Happan). I'm not sure
> if that elemental aspect is mentioned in the rules or not. You seem to
>
> be leaning not, putting "Law" for Malkioni cultures in general.

Not necessarily. Even among the Heortlings, according to KoH, not every man has the Air rune (unsurprisingly, given the existence of Elmal). It's simply the most common rune, as Earth is for women. So the fact that most Malkioni, especially among the wizard caste, tend to have the Law rune doesn't mean that they all do, let alone that they don't also happen to have an elemental rune. What they won't tend to have, as a general rule, is a particular preponderance of a given elemental rune within their culture.

> You didn't opine on the "three" question.

No, I didn't :)

> Would you let Malkioni who haven't hurled themselves to Magus-level
> devotion to the magical arts use their Law rune for supplementing tasks
> - the "layperson" level of magic?

I'd let them use to augment any Law rune associated magic. Which would include, for example, anything in The Abiding Book, or in most scriptures. That covers most of the Church-approved magic that the lay population uses, but, in most places, they also have "unofficial" magic, which may be individual talents or spirits, or whatever, and don't usually have anything to do with the Law rune.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/