Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_T4J6gcZUUXrjxHrfzqh9DFF7St-qCQ136BwWe_sZ6dTbxoQLjQDzTVg3dJ-2HDAa>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:26:00 -0500

John Machin wrote:

> I roll this way with the Esvulari wizard in our current group. Runes are
> popular augments for related grimoires.

*nod*

> I also impose penalties based on the runes when inappropriate magic is
> used
> however: to use the example of a wizard with a Harmony rune, this wizard
> would (as Trotsky mentioned) have an easier time using healing,
> peacemaking,
> and calming spells - but a harder time using spells of disorder, disaster,
> and destruction.
>
> I'm influenced in using this method by the HQ1 era text that says that
> strong emotions can sometimes interfere with the concentration needed to
> evoke wizardry magic.

It does make some sense.

Interestingly HQ2 makes it easy to use them this way without giving them rankings. The presence or absence of a rune can be a simple situation modifier and not require an augment.
Thus it would require "attuning your runes" (aka taking them as abilities/augments) to start using them the way Sartarites do, where they apply to everything and eventually lead to even stronger magic if one pursues that path.

hmmm.... I have to think about that.
Mind you, I really need to see the Sartar book explanation to get a handle on what they are actually doing with that.

LC