Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_pMJ1F1nJvNXM3JF8-JPUoIehDo8k9sZg96arP-vnb6wORPWOewApKn5La3l08uND>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:30:03 -0500

  John Machin wrote:

> The Wise can see the god-marks upon others souls, and so can help a young
> person find the god that calls to them.

So say we all.

> I personally favour the approach where the runes are articulated as
> the gods
> they relate to in a specific cultural setting, rather than as the runes
> themselves. "The White Lady smiles on you and calls you to Her side" vs.
> "You have a powerful Harmony Rune".

I think that would be culturally specific as well. Some cultures view the runes broadly, and only when you initiate to a given God would it be about that God calling you.
After all, Death is owned by LOTS of people, depending on your culture. Same with many other runes. I mean, in Sartar mythology, what does one think of someone with the Harmony rune?
I do think the "your god in specific" would be the more common case, but am not certain.

> (That the runes themselves appear similar in different Gloranthan cultures
> is no more peculiar than the images of the sun appearing similar in
> disparate Earthly cultures - they are facts of life that express
> themselves
> in similar ways to all observers.)

*nod* And I've always been under the impression that there are often different cultural interpretations of some of the core runes and core concepts. This is just the most accepted and wide spread.

LC