Re: Three Runes

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_ay-1AUBUY4i39IT6278NUfH9w2FdqJmOxXkDHxOka0U7I2Y0iQFjB9Ow6gahVrsVy3N>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:42:38 +0000

L C wrote:

> > I like the idea that many cultures have a primary rune. Many cultures
> > have historically (mythically?) been tied to an element, so using that
> > element rune makes a lot of sense. But not everyone. For Hsunchen I'd
> > think it would be the beast rune, or specialized variant of it. What
> > about Kralorela? Could they have something else?
> >
> Indeed. I think the "element" aspect doesn't necessarily hold.
> Kralorela could have Harmony, perhaps?
> I also think even if we posit a "everyone has runes" thing, not every
> culture would have a rune associated with it.
> Some cultures may have no "dominant" rune.

It may also depend what you mean by "dominant". I wouldn't expect the Law rune to be as common in Makioni society as Air and Earth are in Heortling society. It's probably the most common rune, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's near-universal. It's probably more common among wizards than the among other three castes, for one thing.

Ideally, I suppose, farmers would have Earth, warriors Death, wizards Law, and nobles Mastery... but I doubt it works that well in practice.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/