Re: Three Runes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_7i7vXMH2497D-rzIX0ZU-QZFCrtPnUo_VZsYAb-cJ5vQoeEXqUaFlJkqPANgE4LYJg>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:17:43 +1100

2009/12/21 L C lightcastle_at_BKg8rWI_LfD8xKJ9X65_MGqcQZwKdzK4ba7vbXeXmySQLVC8tW22osOZGVoTXiYuM54Ro0ULs1iyppg.yahoo.invalid

> Right. Now, I suppose you can argue that the reading of all three runes
> is where people pick the god, but the HQ2 rules (I haven't read S:KoH
> yet) seem to imply quite strongly that your runes don't in fact define
> the god you have necessarily.

I find this quite perplexing myself. Someone who worships Orlanth but who has Fire, Law, and Truth can't actually use any of Orlanth's magic as Rune Affinities. Unless they worship him through some Lawspeaking cult which might have Law or Truth as a cult association. Mechanically, this character is at a tremendous disadvantage!

I appreciate that some people may play characters with Sisyphean rune choices, but in our game most players choose runes that reflect their concept and also choose a religious affiliation that fits. Most initiations feature "testing" of some sort and I assume that part of seeing if someone "fits" into a cult is working out if their runes (and thus personal *and*magical traits) work with the tenets of the cult and the god it worships.

> No,

*Excellent....*

> and I am quite fond of that interpretation.

I think it makes for potentially interesting characters (e.g. "I was initiated into Ernalda, but I fled my clan and hearth to heal others; to want to heal the world was not a phase for me, it was not something that I could ever initiate out of..." etc).

> LOL! Fair enough.

I'll write out my tedious essays another day and start spamming Roderick with them... (actually, I owe Rory 1 x Bat Shit Alchemist Essay... I should finish that!)

> I still think that while most cultures are likely to view it as "This
> God has marked you", others won't. For instance, I could see anywhere in
> the West as likely to refer to it by Rune instead. (Although some might
> go by Saint.)

Wizards might say "runes" (or Forms or Archetypes or whatever their Founder likes to call them). I like the idea that non-wizarddly monotheists have Patron Saints!

--
John Machin