Re: Three Runes

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_vQOWw2DcipPcnb1ZfsHYPv8hKnhFAEKstPggd6whUFLMutY75d_ws-csC2Ks_AdZJbc>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:30:14 +0000

L C wrote:

> John Machin wrote:
> >

> > Harmony might mean Ernalda, but depending on the individuals other
> > runes it
> > might suggest Chalana Arroy too.
> >

> Right. Now, I suppose you can argue that the reading of all three runes
> is where people pick the god, but the HQ2 rules (I haven't read S:KoH
> yet) seem to imply quite strongly that your runes don't in fact define
> the god you have necessarily.

Not necessarily, but they will in practice where player characters are concerned, I suspect. And, in KoH, you do have to have at least one rune in common with your chosen cult in order to initiate. In some cults, a particular rune may be mandatory (Death for Humakti, for instance).

> LOL! Fair enough.
> I still think that while most cultures are likely to view it as "This
> God has marked you", others won't. For instance, I could see anywhere in
> the West as likely to refer to it by Rune instead. (Although some might
> go by Saint.)

Saints generally only have one rune, and to use their magic, I'd suggest that you'd have to have the rune in question. But I do think that, with the way that the Malkioni work, the individual chooses the patron saint, rather than the other way around. Wizardry schools might be a little different.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/