Re: Three Runes

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_FHjwtPVZX2e7OpqLpwnheTiF1yKSIbYqyDwEMmY9ZgWTNmsOG9XUH8Bv0KVF>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:24:26 +0000 (GMT)

> Stephen Tempest

>>"bryan_thx" <bethexton_at_ZBnYPEtXgUEw3Snd23T9c5gYJUf74_1Ol2PoM54RfchFHqCa3ofigidQw39GpZ1v-QS6A4BIE5taIbs.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>> Well, from what I've read so far (I don't have KOH yet), the runes are
>> gained at first initiation, at least for Heortlings (initiation as a
>> lay member).  That is, you don't grow up with those runes....

> The language used in the book is consistent, that initiation *awakens*
> the runes within you.

Yes definately everyone is "mixed".

> Since the Runes are the building blocks of reality, it follows that in
> the mundane world everybody is comprised of all the runes, in one
> proportion or another. A theist initiation allows you to discover the
> three most important runes that go into making up who you are, and
> awaken an affinity for them that allows you to perform Theist magic by
> using them.

That fits my thinking exactly. Usually 3 would be enough to give the godi a clear indication as to which direction to steer the person towards.

In Satar I would think that this time would be when they realise a young person is going to be a Kolating, by the presence of a strong spirit rune.

For me I intend that my groups Kolating shaman will use his spirit rune as his tradition keyword. Particular spirit societies will be new keywords derived from the Spirit rune / Kolat tradition keyword. His other runes will be available for augmenting relationships with spirits as per non-divine runes for the theist.

> I think it's clear enough that the number "three" is a generalisation
> made formal for gameplay reasons. You can add new runes during play by
> discovering that you "had them all along", or by performing a
> heroquest or ritual to strengthen your connection to a particular
> rune.

Exactly. Wizards also have access to the runes directly but find it easier to use the limited versions of a rune given by their grimoirs.

To me it is simple.

A god is complex enough to encompass the entirety of a rune, and if in doubt you can use divination to find out what to do in certain circumstances.

A spirit is simpler and so can only encompass a small part of a rune. The ones you can befriend are even simpler and can only encompass a single task.

Grimoirs are necessarily limited as it is impossible to put in everything in a book. Nor is there some intelligence in the book to explain the meanings. You always seem to need another textbook to explain the one you are reading!!

So it seems entirely logical to me why Theists use the rune directly and the other forms of magic don't, but all forms of magic can benefit from using runes.

Gavain