Re: Three Runes

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_evqcFRxoVAeXrpBwHwfUsVSqxLxvBGiG8_JbI0N3D2oewlnX6Hj0A2PIcAQmmG>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:53:29 -0800

I don't look at the definition of Common Magic in this way that I'm reading here. True, the phrase was used in HQ2, but dropped in Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes.

To me, Common Magic is:
  A simple spirit charm that someone else gave me.   A simple spell that someone else taught me.   An innate magical ability that I was born with.
[These are generally specific, augment-only abilities, low magic]

Then, after that we come to magic acquired through the Three Worlds   A more powerful spirit charm that I acquired in the Spirit World (possibly with the help of a Shaman).
  A Spell that I learned through following a Saint's path, through knowledge shared by members of my caste, or through long instruction at a school. All require personal connection to the Otherworld of Logic (possibly with the help of a leader of the church or a Wizard or Sorcerer).   Rune Affinities awakened by visiting the Gods Plane (possibly with the help of a Priest)
[These are the awakening of magic powers for lay members. Mostly general,
broader magic augments. Except spells, of course.]

Then we start to master magic from the Three Worlds   Making pacts with spirits for community benefits and personal power. (I don't fully understand how Animism works at Shaman levels in HQ2)   Learning a Grimoire and modifying its spells on the fly to use its magic in changing circumstances (i.e. Wizardry).   Utilizing your Rune affinities through emulating your god to perform magic that follows from that god's myths. (Initiate).
[Full magical abilities.]

Eventually we are great and powerful
  (Some powerful spirit thingie)
  Creating Grimoires (Magus)
  Heroforming and Feats (Devotee)

I think that discussions about using Rune Affinities in non-theist cultures are "downgrading" the initiate-level magic of the theists to something that is commonly used by all, and I think that is not how it works. Sure, you have runes and those *might* augment magic from the otherworlds in the right circumstances. And they define your personality, since they are the building blocks of who you are. But I don't think that the magic systems for Spirits and Spells use them to any significant degree.

The thinking over and Moon Design may not be the same, but the discussion on here reads to me like people trying to anticipate and predict what the other two Worlds of magic will be like based on seeing just one. Like the story of the Three Blind Men and the Elephant, except all of the blind men are standing in the same spot.