Re: Three Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_CMyXRnR-CWg8Z3G1rNSdhHJ_QfCsaZlfMVvM_SJV2YfTPonKggWFjJHcCuwlJfso>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:47:01 -0500

  Gavain Sweetman wrote:

> "Your rune affinities are a part of you, but you are awakened to them
> with your adulthood initiation to the gods and magic of the Orlanthi
> gods. At adulthood, your three most significant rune affinities are
> chosen. A child cannot do rune magic. Most Orlanthi men are associated
> with the [air] rune just as most Orlanthi women are with the [earth]
> rune; they are almost always one of your three most significant runes.
> Normally, you only have one elemental rune."

Thanks for that, Gavain.

> Looks like they are awakened and they see you as connecting to the
> runes not the gods. You are only initiated to the pantheon at that
> time and so have the freedom to explore which gods fit you best. There
> may be heavy advice as to which would suit you best or which the clan
> / bloodline need the most.

*nod* That sounds about right.

> > Like if I'm Air, Movement, Plant am I viewed as "having those three
>
> > runes" or "some weird plant-focused subcult of Orlanth" or
> something? Or
> > am I viewed as being torn between two or three gods until I initiate to
> > one of them?
>
> I suspect that you would be viewed as being torn between two gods and
> at some point you would choose. So maybe you spend lots of time in the
> Elf woods, but how is that any more weird that the guys who spend most
> of the year living with bears!

I know! (Damn bears.)

> As a side note it does seem to be much easier to be initiated to
> different gods in HQ2. If you have the necessary rune connections you
> can become an initiate. Though the cults all have to be mutually
> compatible, and I guess that time is a constraint too, though there is
> no formal quantification of that.

*nod* I do think that's something of a bonus. The ability to access magics associated with a rune you don't have is something that seems to be addressed in KoH, so that's good. I do like that this allows for something where gods (say in another culture but still using the three rune-affinity model) might be commonly grouped into sets that one initiates to. A Brother-Sister pairing, for instance, where one is expected to get a divine affinity from each. (Or some such.)
LC