Re: Runes for non-theists [was: 'Three Runes']

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_ixoBmstNlTMsbgtbLYIGQK0gKb9y16xbjw7WOCZbP7vf-5MjgXZpK_0BEV7tHP5V>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:54:51 -0000

Peter :

> Except that animists can improve their charms and spirits without limit.
> The fixed ability rating for spirits that was a feature of HQ1.0 is
> gone. The key definition of a spirit's strength is your tradition
> knowledge.

Well, I was mostly thinking of "one-use" spirits when I wrote that part about non-improvable xWy (shaman lends a spirit knot to player, spirit inside has xWy, can be used once then spirit returns to daddy shaman, not improvable by player), just to clarify... apart from that, well yes.

> Except that nobody has masteries in a rune, they only have masteries in
> a rune affinity

I am certainly NOT suggesting that non-theists would have affinities, but IF animists and sorcerors are going to have some sort of handy Runic keywords of some sort on their character sheets, they are liable to have xWy numbers attached to each Rune. Discussing this from the general point of view of "Runes in the 3 magic systems" one is unfortunately likely to produce less than perfect terminological generalisations from time to time.

Julian Lord