Re: Three Runes

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_xVMmnefkh9pQLeTiiifPq5BjxQ8mffr-xtMLHonrphuwGkaMVCkU6VPs6PUKTg>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:12:45 -0800

I guess my point of view is that changing a rune (rather than just adding one), especially if it is to facilitate switching initiation to a different god, is game changing. To tread this path is to negotiate as a player first with the GM and the other players. At that point, you don't need rules anymore, just table agreement.

As for this situation in Glorantha, few people that attempt this will be as successful as Arkat. Most will be tormented by spirits of reprisal for their few lingering days, unable to fulfill obligations to their (former) god because they lack that Rune Affinity now.

Dramatically, this story has interest. Especially in a role-playing game, since players like to challenge themselves with characters that are often unlike the culture that character lives in. (The Lone Wolf; the Barbarian in Civilized Lands, etc.) But the likelihood of such an event in Glorantha is probably a lot lower than people wanting to play through it. The credibility of such an outcome seems low to me.

But that's the fun of telling a unique story. Something "impossible" happens, something wonderful and challenging. No need for rules to create such an event.

--Todd