Re: Runes for non-theists [was: 'Three Runes']

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_9dmDZnnuhbGpht2OwO_LgK0xxoY1Brn0wSggtHpthRoJ-whFzlSjJQafRNos>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:28:22 +0000 (GMT)

> John Machin <orichalka_at_q3f7wUeDqisS_-c8cWQ257-udShqt836BJipDYj9LVSZacNdrY51YVCPJHqcn2xj0a54cwStg-hpZiqXi8M.yahoo.invalid>

>> 2009/12/23 Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_zOl_78sfVPjbohHrw7S3oNJAT7--8pQ18N1Poe0kawAXvSJmysVoYRP89tm_srRt3pI2tFBc03Wm7xAg_rNnhJD4joc.yahoo.invalid>

> I've thought of similar things myself, but I have been struggling to think
> exactly how this works. Presumably there is nothing preventing Gloranthans
> from finding and exploiting basically any rune (possibly not runes that
> conflict with each other...) within themselves?

I think that at least theists and wizards do interact with the runes directly. It is their belief or learning that directs them how to use the powers safely. Though I suspect that most Gloranthans are not aware of this. Personally, I believe that the magic systems impose restrictions on the linking to runes directly as a safety measure, being in direct contact with a rune could have disastrous consequences.

> I now have to think about how to model this reasonably within HQ2. I really
> want the runes to be the "top level" magical ability rating... I am just not
> sure if this can be done especially elegantly...

I'm not sure that it needs more modeling. If your player bypasses the cultural limits on linking to runes directly, he should be allowed to do anything but take the words he uses and do it literally. So when they say that I use the air rune to fill my lungs, let them but then say they can't breathe out again, with out them saying I stop the flow of air. Or just make it a nearly impossible resistance to actually breaking the cultural ties. Or perhaps they need to develop a rune control skill to generate the correct thoughts to activate the exact power they need.

Gavain