Re: Outlawry = death

From: continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_EL-FbZCLf9RNnwUjugzZd4AkUVId1gyaI2nAu0J_27nqOla16GoCIDJpkSyUUn>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 22:31:09 -0000

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> > I think the last part is overstating the power of the ritual. Outlawry
> > separates the offender and the clan, but the clan does not have the power
> > separate the offender and her/his god. Now, for most of the really serious
> > offenses, the god will probably be ditching the offender anyway, but
> > that's
> > a separate issue. I suppose if the clan has some specific hero cults or
> > variant subcults they worship, where kinship is significant, outlawry
> > would
> > interfere, but, in most cases, I think Orlanth and Ernalda are the ones
> > who
> > get to chose if a person is allowed to stay in the Storm Tribe, not some
> > clan ring....
>
> Nope, Outlaws don't get to call on Orlanth (see TR 44). (or ancestors
> either, btw). The rituals cut you off from *all* orlanthi society, including
> Orlanth!
>
> Remember that the Gods and Ancestors have ways of indicating that "something
> is wrong", and this will often point to something happening that will merit
> Outlawry.

I guess this is why Gagarth gets a few new worshippers?

Outlaws would struggle to survive in the wilderness without any magic or gods to call on.

The hard choice would be whether to die slowly in the wilds or join Gagarth in the hopes of joining some sort of community, even one were you could end up stabbed in the back by your new found 'colleagues'.

In times of trouble the Gagarthi always seem to plague to land.

Darran